GREY DAYS
GREY DAYS
I got the news of the
pandemic before the holidays. I was just waiting for the letter to arrive. I
was in Mr Bennie’s class when a teacher delivered a letter. I ignored it
thinking it was for sir. At the end of the class each of us got a letter as we
got out. It said that we had holidays till Monday. Thankfully, it was only
Monday. But no, my nightmare continued. On Monday we got the news that because
of the worsening of the covid-19 situation the lockdown was extended until
further notice. A part of me felt safe only at home but another part of me was
in alarm that I would have to stay home for several weeks… or months, who
knows? Physically attending classes in school was an interesting part of my
life with regard to both my academic and social life. My academic life has been
affected in the sense that I am unable to understand the academic concepts the
same way I would have understood in the classroom environment. But it would
take much more time and effort for me understanding the topics rather than a
teacher explaining it to us. Attending
classes through online resources is not a good experience as compared to direct
interaction with the teacher and sharing of ideas on particular concepts with my friends. As
students, we have been presented with several options regarding how to progress
with our academics. We have the option of attending online classes, but the
pandemic has made access to the necessary resources a challenge for most
students. Many students
are not able to reach the online school because of network problems. Similarly,
many pupils have access to the online classroom but don’t necessarily
understand the work set by the teacher. I for now don’t have such problems but
I want to be the voice of many individuals. However, there is some benefit from
this lockdown. I got to spend time on my hobbies like drawings and cooking.
During the regular school days, I used to spend very less time on actually
revising what we had learnt in school. I used to spend maybe an hour or two.
But now I have a specific timetable which includes a mandatory 3-hour study
time and a 3-hour homework time. The rest of my time goes on playing, eating, mental
maths, Sanskrit (an olden Indian language), art and cooking. Overall, it has
been a traumatising experience and I am literally praying for school and
everything to open up but as each day goes by my state of mind worsens. I
slowly feel more bored… more like a robot. Thankfully, I have my family and
friend to support me through these rough time. Only hope to for everything to
be normal soon. All the people wait for this boon…
Sahana
7M10
Comments
Post a Comment